Chat rooms are moderated to provide a clean chatting environment. Currently our chat rooms are moderated by volunteer fans taking their own time to regulate, but really, self-moderation is the responsibility of everyone. In the future we will have a more standardized system for moderating chat.
Inappropriate chat behavior includes all forms of spam, excessive profanity (any profanity in moderated chat), and any derogatory or racial comment or activity. Depending on the severity of the violation, moderators have the discretion to either kick you from the room temporarily or ban you from chat all together.
User List: You can see all of the other chatters in the room by clicking on the blue "Users List" bar. Clicking on any username in this window will reveal buttons for interacting with that person in chat. The "Users List" shows the different types of users:
- Staff: These are Justin.tv employees.
- Admins: These are a group of dedicated volunteers who have chat moderation abilities. They have been around the site for a while and know the ropes. Admins are added by staff during nomination periods. Additional Admins are chosen by the current Admins and Staff. Whenever a potential candidate is found, the group discuss reasons for the candidate to be added or disregarded.
- Moderators: A moderator is some one that has the ability to moderate your chat room. They can ban users, purge comments and help take care of your room.
- Pro Accounts: Justin.tv Pro Accounts are our way of giving you access to features that are difficult or impossible for us to provide for free.
- Channel owner: is the Justin.tv user who has created a given channel.
Ignore: Once you have chosen a user from the list, click "Ignore" to never read other word from that person. If you made a mistake, clicking their name again will reveal an "Unignore" button (you will be able to find their nickname in the user list mentioned above). chat.
Slow Mode: (This feature is for the channel owner and moderators only) Turning on slow mode means that only Moderators are able to speak at a normal rate. Other users will only be able to send messages once every minute or two. Turn on this mode if you are being spammed or if messages are going too fast. If you are a moderator, you can enable or disable this mode by opening the "Moderate" menu and choosing "Slow On" or "Slow Off."
Adding Moderators: To add a moderator to your chat room capable of banning and giving timeouts to users, simply click the user's name in chat, and click the blue "Mod" button. Alternatively you can type "/mod username" and press "Send" in your chat.
If you are interested in becoming a mod in one of your favorite channels, we recommend you request the channel owner add you as a Mod after you've spent some time in their room and they've gotten to know you a bit. We have more features lined up and we are always open to your suggestions!
The beauty of live broadcasting is that as a viewer you have the opportunity to chat with millions of other community members. Each channel page includes a chat room specifically created for that specific channel. We provide space on the bottom of the chatroom for you to contribute in the chatroom. Simply type, and then hit enter or push speak.
On every Justin.tv Chat, you will find a settings gear located on the upper right of the box. Simply click this button to open the settings panel. You can customize your experience by changing your username color, or turning on the Time Stamps to see the time a message was sent. We also allow you to hide the chatroom, or pop the chatroom out into a pop-up window.
If you are a channel moderator, you will also have "Moderation" abilities. These include activating your Mod Icons (Ban / Timeout), Clearing the Chat (to erase all previous messages), or turn the chat on Slow Mode (to limit the rate at which normal users can chat).
Each user has a Profile Card with information and user controls. To view a user's profile card, click on their username in either the chatroom or the userlist. Profile cards include these options:
- Ignore: The ability to hide messages sent by a specific user
- Follow: Following a certain user allows you to see when they broadcast, or privately instant message them (Note: The user must mutually follow you as well to do this)
- Channel: View the user's channel page (Note: The user must have a channel page for this to appear)
- Videos: View the user's video page, which includes videos they have produced, and videos they have highlighted from other channels.
- Message: To send the user a private message
- Timeout (Mod Only): To remove the user from the chatroom for 10 minutes
- Ban (Mod Only): To remove the user from the chatroom permanently
- Mod (Broadcaster Only): To give a user moderator privileges
Web Chat Commands
All commands with usernames must be typed in all lower-case letters. The chat servers keep everything lower-case.
- /color colorname - Sets your chat color (choose from: Red, Green, Blue, FireBrick, YellowGreen, OrangeRed, SeaGreen, GoldenRod, Coral, Chocolate, CadetBlue, DodgerBlue, HotPink, BlueViolet, SpringGreen)
- /find usernames - Find what rooms your friends are in. You can use a login, or a list of logins separated by spaces.
- /invite usernames - Invite people to watch this channel. You can use a login, or a list of logins separated by spaces, or you can say * /invite friends to invite all of your friends
- /me action phrase - Emotes with action phrase. For example, '* /me eats a fish'
- /viewers - Displays the current view count
- /ban username - Ban this user from this channel permanently (moderators only)
- /unban username - Remove the ban of a user (moderators only)
- /kick - Issues a Ten Minute Timeout (moderators only)
- /timeout - Issues a Ten Minute Timeout (moderators only)
- /ignore username - Stop receiving messages from this a given user.
- /unignore username - Start receiving messages from this a given user after using the * /ignore command
- /mod username - Sets moderator status for this user (channel owner only)
- /op username - Sets moderator status for this user (channel owner only)
- /unmod username - Removes moderator status for this user (channel owner only)
- /mods - Gets this list of the moderators for any given channel
- /timeout username - Temporarily bans a user for 10 minutes from your room (moderators only)
- /slow - Turn Slow Mode for this room on (moderators only)
- /slowoff - Turn Slow Mode for this room off (moderators only)
- /clear - Clears the chat room (moderators only)
- /friends - Turns on Friends Only Mode (moderators only)
- /followersoff - Turns off Friends Only Mode (moderators only)
Type the following key commands for some fun emotions in chat!
Justin.tv allows any user to connect to our chat servers through an IRC Client. All you need is a Justin.tv account to connect. Standard users are limited to having 5 open channel connections at a time. We are currently not whitelisting usernames for an exception to this limit.
- Server: channelname.jtvirc.com
- Channelname = The username of the channel you wish to connect to (i.e. help in justin.tv/help)
- Port: 6667
- Username: Your Justin.tv Username
- Password: Your Justin.tv Password
If you have trouble with this guide or suggestions for chat, please contact Justin.tv and we'll try to help you out!