Welcome to Justin.tv! We are very excited to have you here, and want to do everything in our power to help you Get Started to a smooth start!
We understand that joining a new website can be confusing at times, but in order to ease the pain, we wanted to share a few tips with you.
As a Justin.tv User, the first step that you should do is review our Community Guidelines. These are all of the rules that we want you to know from our [Terms of Service http://www.justin.tv/user/terms_of_service], but in a simple format that is easy to understand. To ensure that your account remains open at Justin.tv, please spend a few minutes reading our guidelines, which will save both you and us trouble in the end.
For any questions concerning our guidelines, please Contact Us!
We rely on our broadcasters to help produce content for us. The exciting thing is that in only a few clicks you can be broadcasting yourself to millions! Although it takes time and dedication to gather a large fan base, it is important that we cover at least the basics of broadcasting to help you out.
If you are interested in learning how to broadcast, please read our Broadcasting tutorial to help you get started. From our Web Broadcaster to Advanced External Applications, we have everything listed and explained for your benefit.
As soon as you Sign Up for an account and Log In, you will be greeted with our Home Feed. This is your first stop to finding the live content that you have followed. It may look empty when starting out, but once you find content that you are interested to watch in the future, it will fill up. This is because the homepage is personalized for you as a logged in user.
The middle feed will show live channels that you are following. As soon as they begin broadcasting, the channel will appear in the middle column. On the right, you will see quick links to your Videos Page, Settings, and Message Inbox.
You will also see a place to put in a quick About Me introduction, users we suggest that you follow, and information as to who you follow and who follows you.
The homepage is a great page to visit as you log into Justin.tv, but now it is important to find content to watch.
As a new user, the best way to find content is through our Directory. This is a full list of the channels currently broadcasting on Justin.tv, which is divided into multiple sections to help you find exactly what you are looking for.
The Categories Include:
- Producers (Content we have chosen to feature)
- News & Events
- Science & Tech
- Note: Results are based on the language that you have selected. If you would like to see channels in other languages, use the Language Selector on the top of the page
Channels are listed from the most Live Viewers to the least Live Viewers. Some directories can expand to multiple pages, so ensure that you don't give up on page one. As soon as you find a channel that interests you, simply click on a channel to view it.
The beauty of live broadcasting is that as a viewer you have the opportunity to chat with millions of other community members. Each channel page includes a chat room specifically created for that specific channel. We provide space on the bottom of the chatroom for you to contribute in the chatroom. Simply type, and then hit enter or push speak.
On every Justin.tv Chat, you will find a settings gear located on the upper right of the box. Simply click this button to open the settings panel. You can customize your experience by changing your username color, or turning on the Time Stamps to see the time a message was sent. We also allow you to hide the chatroom, or pop the chatroom out into a pop-up window.
If you are a channel moderator, you will also have "Moderation" abilities. These include activating your Mod Icons (Ban / Timeout), Clearing the Chat (to erase all previous messages), or turn the chat on Slow Mode (to limit the rate at which normal users can chat).
You can also easily access a list of who is in the chatroom. On every Justin.tv Chat you will find an image of a person, which when clicked will open the User List. The user list is split into different sections:
- Moderators: Users that have the ability to remove users from the chatroom, clear chat, activate slow mode, or other various functions to help keep the chat organized
- Staff: Paid employees who work for Justin.tv
- Admins: Volunteer global moderators who keep the website clean
- Pro: Users who pay to remove advertisements
- Viewers: Regular users within the chatroom
Each user has a Profile Card with information and user controls. To view a user's profile card, click on their username in either the chatroom or the userlist. Profile cards include these options:
- Ignore: The ability to hide messages sent by a specific user
- Follow: Following a certain user allows you to see when they broadcast, or privately instant message them (Note: The user must mutually follow you as well to do this)
- Channel: View the user's channel page (Note: The user must have a channel page for this to appear)
- Videos: View the user's video page, which includes videos they have produced, and videos they have highlighted from other channels.
- Message: To send the user a private message
- Timeout (Mod Only): To remove the user from the chatroom for 10 minutes
- Ban (Mod Only): To remove the user from the chatroom permanently
- Mod (Broadcaster Only): To give a user moderator privileges
Broadcast Page Begin:
Broadcasting, Getting Started
Getting started on Justin.tv is easy! Here is a simple and quick introduction on how to get started on Justin.tv
What you need to Broadcast
- Any kind of webcam will work including ones built into laptops.
- A microphone is also needed for audio, any microphone will do. No need to get a professional model.
- Many webcams have microphones built in.
- A computer with an Internet connection (DSL or Cable will be adequate for a broadcast).
- A Justin.Tv account.
- Check this Awesome Video Tutorial
We understand that some of our broadcasters want to make themselves known to the world in only a few short clicks. In order to do this, we created a quick and easy Web Broadcaster. Although this will not give you the best picture quality as possible, it is a good start while you are getting familiar with Justin.tv.
- Go to: Justin.tv
- Click: Go Live!
- Click allow to let Flash access your webcam and microphone.
- Click the start button.
You are now broadcasting live on Justin.Tv!
Web-Broadcaster Advanced Settings
Our broadcaster is built to do its best on detecting the correct source, but if you have many sources it may occasionally select the wrong one. Have no fear, as you can easily adjust these!
Editing Video Settings
- Select the Settings Gear on the lower right of the broadcast window.
- Select "Setup Video."
- Select the drop-down list for Camera to change your Video Source.
- Adjust the bitrate to change the quality of your broadcast.
- Run a Speedtest to find your Upload Speed.
- Select a bitrate of at least 100 kbps under you upload speed.
- Click Close (or back to adjust Audio Settings).
Editing Audio Settings
- Select the Settings Gear on the lower right of the broadcast window.
- Select "Setup Audio."
- Select the drop-down list for Microphone to change your Audio Source.
- Adjust the input volume to match a good volume (based on the VU meter below).
- Click Close (or back to adjust the Video Settings).
If you found this guide helpful, check the rest of our broadcasting guides to help you make your broadcast even better!
Chatting within the Broadcaster
Who likes dealing with multiple windows? We don't! That is why we put our chat box right into our Online Broadcaster. After clicking start, simply click the Chat tab on the right to load the chatroom.
To be a successful broadcaster, you will want to ensure that you interact with your viewers. From this box you will be able to both see incoming lines of text, and participate in the chatroom as well.
For information on Controlling your Chatroom, see our Chat Guide.
Our online broadcaster is great for getting started quickly, but what if you want to customize your settings even more? The ability to change Resolutions, Codec Formats, and Frame Rates can be a life saver when producing quality content. We support multiple external applications to help you achieve this goal.
We recommend that you view a few of our tutorials: